With news about locksmith scams popping up in the news, customers find themselves more aware of the potential to be taken for a ride. With these tips, you will be able to ensure that your locksmith is completely legitimate and not going to cause a bigger headache for you. Companies that follow these guidelines are reputable and trustworthy, not those that will intimidate you to pay high fees.
1. A good locksmith does not try to raise the price of the service after the work has started. Typically, the locksmith gives you a price and does not raise it after that.
2. A good locksmith does not claim that he or she cannot pick a lock and must replace it with a more expensive lock. This is often a ploy to ensure that you end up paying more than you bargained for.
3. Good locksmiths do not spoof addresses or use similar sounding names to sound local -- even if they are not. You should be able to look up the address of the company you are working with.
4. Local locksmiths do not report to call centers. You should be able to call the locksmith directly if you have any questions.
5. Reputable locksmiths have good scores with the Better Business Bureau. You can look up the business on the website to see if there are open complaints against the locksmith.
6. Good locksmiths are listed with your insurance or roadside assistance company. You may be better off seeking a local recommendation rather than going through the phone book.
7. Locksmiths with a good reputation are bonded and insured. This protects both you and the locksmith from mistakes.
8. Good locksmiths tend to show up in marked vans. It is typical to be wary of locksmiths who show up in cars or vans that do not have the logo of a business on them.
9. Reputable locksmiths show up with company identification. If you ask for ID and the locksmith does not show it, you are right to become suspicious.
10. Good locksmiths will offer you a written estimate before they start to work, and you may be asked to sign it before the work begins.
Once you learn how to spot a legitimate locksmith, you will not have to worry about the potential scams out there. Genuine locksmiths are out there, and they want to help solve your problems.